Crab Melt

Mayo, ¼ c
Fennel bulb, 3 tablespoons finely chopped
Green onions, 3 tablespoons thinly slices
Fresh lemon juice, 2 teaspoons
Lemon zest, ½ tsp grated
Old Bay seasoning or other Chesapeake Bay seafood seasoning, 1 tsp
Fresh lump crab meat, 8 oz picked over for shell fragments
Hot dog buns, 2, preferably New England cut. Unsalted butter, 1 tablespoon, melted
Cheddar cheese, 2 oz, shredded (optional)
Chips or homemade chips (optional) for serving with

In a small bowl, stir together the mayo, fennel, green onion, lemon juice and zest, and Old Bay seasoning until well blended. Gently stir in crabmeat, taking care not to break it up too much.

Preheat sandwhich grill. Open the hot dog buns flat, and brush on all sides with melted butter. Place in the grill, close the top plate, and cook until lightly toasted, 2-3 minutes. If using the cheese, leave the buns in the grill and heap the crab salad into them, dividing it evenly, then sprinkle with cheese. Lower the top to within ½ inch of the cheese and hold until melted 30-40 seconds. If not using the cheese, simply transfer the toasted buns to warmed plates, heap the crab salad into them, and serve at once, with a handful of potato chips, if desired.

Serves 2

Note: New England hot dog buns are distinguished by their split tops and the lack of crust on their sides Find them in specialty food stores. Or substitute a standard hot dog bun for the New England roll.

Left over fennel is great in salads, pesto, stocks and many other dishes, google it!
I don’t have a Panini Grill, but I use a grill pan with a grill press, or you can use a brick wrapped in tin foil also. Or just wing it!
I tried this with “imitation crab” was not very good.
Every Cat Matters <3