An explanation+temp solution for today's chat problems

Moderators: Gossamer, purple_cat

Timiz0r

An explanation+temp solution for today's chat problems

Post by Timiz0r » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:55 am

I wasn't really sure whether or not to make a post about it since the solution isn't a very good one. Also, the problem is pretty rare an obscure. However, for those that really want to get on chat, the solution might be useful. Plus, who knows how long the issue will persist D:

First, the solution! It's still possible to join chat through a non-Ustream client.
Go to http://en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=Ustre ... -rescue-ce
Type in your nickname and continue.
If it asks for your password, /pass <password> wont work in this client. Do /raw pass <password>.
If you fail to connect, try /server c.ustream.tv 8076 <pass>.
Hopefully, you are now connected to chat and are able to talk, as well!
If you just feel like lurking, though, you can type in any old nickname (including random characters); you just wont be able to do any chatting.

Now, the explanation! For security reasons, Adobe Flash prevents its applications from doing most kinds of communication over the internet, by default. The application must request permission from the target server before the application can communicate. The Ustream chat application is requesting permission just fine. However, the server is often failing to respond. Based on the traffic I observed, the request isn't being received by the server consistently. The server, upon seemingly not receiving any data, is closing the connection, as opposed to the client closing the connection.

The solution is to bypass the Ustream flash application altogether and use a different client. The link I provided is a quick and simple one, though you may opt for any IRC client you wish.

You can assume Ustream has resolved the problem when the chat numbers reach normal levels (reasonably close to the viewer numbers).

Edit:
Here's some more useful information I forgot to include.

Chat itself is still perfectly fine, so if you get on regularly you should be perfectly fine.
Popping the chat out (clicking the black box) and refreshing periodically is another way to get in while still keeping the stream in view.
If you get in through normal chat, I would recommend not closing it if possible.
Snappy + Whisk > All :DDDD

Maiden Heaven

Re: An explanation+temp solution for today's chat problems

Post by Maiden Heaven » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:02 pm

Thank you Tim for your help. I really like your explanations, simple but detailed. :geek:
Every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around..~It's My Secret~
"Until mankind can extend the circle of his compassion to include all living things, he will never, himself, know peace." - by Albert Schweitzer