mIRC Tips and Tricks

Moderators: Gossamer, purple_cat

Timiz0r

mIRC Tips and Tricks

Post by Timiz0r » Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:14 pm

While I wait for the holiday surprise, I figured I would make a post specifically about mIRC! It's my favorite IRC client because it is so robust, and I'd like to share some tricks you can do with it. It's kinda hard to enumerate all the possibilities, so I'll probably make multiple replies this time.

True user count
The user count you see usually isn't the true number of people online. Some have multiple chats up, some are bots, etc. There's a quick way to filter out the repeated connections, though.

//echo -a $ialchan(*,#,0)

What this line does is display the count of the number of unique addresses in the active channel.

Filter out everything but messages
If you're not a power-user and just want a better chat client than Ustream's, you can disable all the garbage that comes up and leave just the messages. The easiest way to do this is to...

Press Alt-O
Go to the IRC category on the left
Click the events button
Hide everything except maybe topics and ultra-maybe modes. Whatever suits you :D

Filter out everything by ustreamer-prefixed nicknames
This is a bit more complicated. Press Alt-R, go into the remote tab, and paste in the following:

Code: Select all

alias -l nope { if (ustreamer isin $1-) { halt } }

on ^*:JOIN:#:{ nope $nick | haltdef }
on ^*:PART:#:{ nope $nick | haltdef }
on ^*:QUIT:{ nope $nick | haltdef }
on ^*:RAWMODE:#:{ nope $1- | haltdef }
What this does is halt the displaying of joining, leaving, quitting, and mode changing of people with ustreamer in their nicknames. If anyone wants, I have an extended script to mute a custom group of users.

Clear the chat window
/clear

Quickly leave and rejoin channel
/hop

Make mods red
/cnick on
/cnick * 4 ~@&%

If you'd like a different color, change the number 4 to something else! A list of colors can be found by pressing ctrl-k, but be sure to delete the funky character it places!

View user information
A graphical way to view user information is to use...

/uwho <nick> <name nick as before>

This command will pop up a window showing a few different pieces of information. Much of it gets cut off, but you can scroll with your mouse or keyboard. You can also use the buttons at the bottom to get a couple more pieces of information.

I prefer to use...

/whois <nick> <same nick>

because it displays the information in a not-cut-off way in the chat screen.

Restart mIRC
/exit -r

Add an alias
An alias is a way to create your own commands! Hardcore scripting aside, you can make simple aliases to do simple but useful things.

For instance...

If i use...
/alias whois2 whois $1 $1

I created the command...
/whois2 <nick>

Which, when used, will actually do...
/whois <nick> <nick>

$1, $2, $3, etc. represent the first, second, and third parameters I send.
$1-, $2-, $3-, etc represent all parameters, the second parameter and onwards, and the third parameter and onwards.

If you need to create an alias that uses multiple commands, separate then with the pipe character.
For instance...
/alias leave msg # I am now leaving! | exit

Does exactly what you think it does.

Temporarily change your nickname
Normally, your nickname is required by Ustream to be the same one as your Ustream account. If you attempt to connect with a different one, you will not be able to talk in the channel. However, if you change your nickname after you connect and join, you will still be able to talk.

Obviously, abusing this will probably get you banned, but sometimes you can do funny stuff with it! There is much humor to be had by changing your nickname for a sec to fit a situation.

/tnick <nick> will temporarily change your nickname.
To change it back easily, use //tnick $mnick.

See how long you have had chat up
//echo -a $uptime

Tab completion
If you need to type out someone's nickname, just type the beginning of it and press the tab key. You can press table multiple times to cycle between multiple possible users.

You can also use the tab key to evaluate identifiers (the special things that begin with $ that you've seen a couple times in this post). As a quick example, type $ip and press tab.

Text-to-speech
It's not especially useful, but you can use /speak <text> to make your computer talk :D
Snappy + Whisk > All :DDDD