Screenshot

Moderators: Gossamer, purple_cat

Pegeta

Screenshot

Post by Pegeta » Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:50 am

I would appreciate help in how to post a screenshot. Thank you.

Gossamer

Re: Screenshot

Post by Gossamer » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:29 pm

What kind of computer are you using?

On a PC, you can simply press the Print Screen key on your keyboard.
Open Paint (Start Button >All Programs>Accessories>Paint)
Click Paste
Click Save As>JPEG picture.
Enter a name for the picture.
Locate where you want to save the picture and click Save.

If you are on Windows 7+, there is also the Snipping Tool.
Open Snipping tool (Start Button >All Programs>Accessories>Snipping Tool)
Click the down-arrow next to new and select if you want to capture the entire screen or just part of it.
Click New.
The snip will appear in a window. Click File, Save as.
Enter a name for the image.
Select the type from the drop-down list (PNG is default so you might want to switch to JPEG)
Change the folder to where you want the image saved, and then click Save.

Anyone out there with a Mac?
Linda (I'm also FFRCAdmin) ~ Furkids Samantha and Tabitha 10 yr old Orangie Sisters.
I have two accounts for testing purposes....so if you see either FFRCAdmin or Gossamer that's me.

Timiz0r

Post by Timiz0r » Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:36 pm

There are probably some tools that do the process of taking a screenshot and uploading it, but I'm a bit too busy to research good ones at the moment. So, I'll cover the process of taking the screenshot, and you can upload them as attachments to posts :D. I'll try to pick the easiest method I know

Windows 8
If you hold the start button on the bottom-left of your keyboard and press the print screen button in the top right of your keyboard, a screenshot will be created and saved to your computer automatically. You can access it in the Screenshots folder of your Pictures library.

Those are the typical locations of the keys, btw, but they may vary from keyboard to keyboard.

Windows Vista or Windows 7
Looks like I got beat :D

Windows XP or prior
Also got beat :D

Mac
Don't use one, but google says Command-Shift-3 to save one to the desktop.
Snappy + Whisk > All :DDDD

Pegeta

Post by Pegeta » Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:22 pm

Thank you!

Dak70

Post by Dak70 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:45 pm

Hi Pegeta! I have windows 7 and use the snipping tool. I've pinned the snipping tool to the task bar for easy use. Takes a couple seconds for the snipping tool to pop up when I click so sometimes I miss the shot I want and it's hit or miss on what I get - especially with squirmy kitties. :cat4:

gerricross

Post by gerricross » Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:58 am

Oh my gosh I love the snipping tool didn't even think about using it here I do at work all the time...
thanks for reminding me... :thumbup:

Maiden Heaven

Post by Maiden Heaven » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:06 pm

I have tested & really like PicPick which is FREE for personal use. .. :thumbup:

NOTE: When first installing Accept, then a 2nd small window will open when installing..Choose to Custom install...then UNcheck Install Search Spin Toolbar...then a 3rd window will open..Decline & then continue to install. http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/picpick.html

http://www.picpick.org/help/how-to-start.html

PicPick has editing features & will temporarily Freeze the cam window & then unfreeze as soon as it is done. This helps prevent blurring & helps you to quickly take more screenshots one after another. It sits in your System Tray, simply click on it to use or learn the Hotkeys. Be sure to choose Program Options to set your images as png as well as choosing a default Download folder & other options.

Always choose to Custom install any new programs, then watch closely for checked boxes or new windows opening. These programs do Not require Toolbars to work. And Toolbars will track your movements online & frequently slow down your computer and or your Internet connection.
Every passing minute is another chance to turn it all around..~It's My Secret~
"Until mankind can extend the circle of his compassion to include all living things, he will never, himself, know peace." - by Albert Schweitzer

lannml

Re: Screenshot - MACs

Post by lannml » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:43 pm

I use both PCs and Macs (both at home and at work). I love the snipping tool in Windows 7 operating system. There are several options for Macs - below I describe the quick & easy way to capture screen images:

For screen captures on Macs:

To take a screen capture the quick and easy way is to use this three key combination: <Command> + <Shift> + 3 which takes a picture of your entire screen. Hold all three keys down and release when you are ready to take the screen capture.

To capture a section of your screen use this three key combination: <Command>+ < Shift> + <4>. Be sure to have your cursor placed in the upper left corner area of where you want to start the capture (note the mouse pointer will shift to the cross-hair), then you select the area you want by moving your mouse (or trackpad). Again, hold all three keys down until you have the cross-hair point.

Your screen captures will save to where ever you have specified - default is usually the download file. You can change this in the system settings if you prefer to have a different file where things are saved. The file format is jpg, although you can change the settings if needed

To crop your capture drop the picture, use the picture preview software that comes on a Mac. You can then outline the area you want to save and use the crop tool select and save only that segment. You can also rename the file since a capture is named "screen capture at date-time." If you want to change the format from jpg to another file format - gif or bit or tif are the most common, use the save command and select the desired file extension.

Feel free to contact me if you have questions about taking screen captures on a Mac computer. I can also provide an directions for capturing pictures on the iPad if needed. ~lann

susanhelene

Post by susanhelene » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:29 am

:thumbup: :thankyou: I feel like I have been accepted by a very secret club. I can now take screen shots!!! I have been wondering how you all did this forever. You are all great. :thankyou: again.
Susan-Helene

lannml

Re: Screenshot & Windows 8

Post by lannml » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:51 am

This morning in chat the question was asked about the snipping tool in windows 8. Here is a link that walks you through the process of finding the snipping tool that is especially helpful for people new to windows 8.

https://answers.syr.edu/display/os/Taki ... +shortcuts