Moon landing 45 years ago.

Moderators: Gossamer, purple_cat

stanAdelaide

Moon landing 45 years ago.

Post by stanAdelaide » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:35 am

Did you see the moon landing live on TV back in 1969?
Seymour-Apollo11.jpg
Seymour + two humans on moon
Maybe I should have added this under "Fun & Games".

Stan
Last edited by stanAdelaide on Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

stanAdelaide

Re: Moon landing 45 years ago.

Post by stanAdelaide » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:37 am

I remember that amazing day on 21st July 1969. I don't remember that it was a Monday, but I knew I would be able to watch Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin step onto the moon on TV sets in a department store (I was attending University at the time).

A large crowd had gathered in the store I selected. There was an announcement that there was going to be a delay (not sure but I think it was going to be a couple of hours). With the delay, I decided I would have enough time to catch the train home and watch in comfort (around lunch time).

It was fantastic seeing the live pictures from the moon. The black & white picture was perfect. It is so unfortunate that the remaining video is so ghostly for those who never saw it live.

Stan

lannml

Post by lannml » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:58 pm

Stan,

I remember the excitement of watching the moon landing too. Our family crowded around the small black and white television in our living room to watch the landing and first moon walk even though the picture was fuzzy at and the sound was full of static at times. For many of my classmates, this event shaped many of our choices about what to study in high school and college.

However, I do not remember a cat in a pirate ship being part of that event! ;)

stanAdelaide

Post by stanAdelaide » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:59 am

Hey lann, I still reckon Seymour aka Michael Collins was in the Command Module. :)

I'm interested in the quality of the TV people saw around the world. Maybe it wasn't as good as I imagined, but I thought it was good overall. I have been reading a lot of info on the two tracking stations in Australia (Parkes & Honeysuckle Creek). Parkes had an antenna the same size as Goldstone in California.

The best of Parkes & HS Creek was used for TV within Australia and was also sent to Goldstone via satellite (slight degradation). Houston used the best from Goldstone & Australia, using just Parkes after about 9 minutes for USA and the rest of world.

Anyone interested can look at
* Parkes
* Honeysuckle Creek
Australians may have seen a slightly better picture. :thumbup:
Stan

PS. I looked up Wikipedia to find the time of Neil Armstrong's step onto the moon - July 21 at 02:56 UTC. So I used 21st in my picture. Of course it would have been Sunday night (20th) in N & S America.